The importance of mental health awareness: A deep dive into mental health month

Senior Jocelyn Richards speaking about gray matter. Photo credit- Pleasant Valley Gray Matter Collective

Life is always up in the air, constantly changing for better or for worse. This can be unsettling or overwhelming, but there is always help just around the corner. May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and encourages those who feel lost or overwhelmed in society.

The topic of mental health has become increasingly prevalent in society. Although it is slowly being normalized, it can still be difficult to find someone to talk to about it. That is why Mental Health America is working to create a safe and widely accessible platform for people to share their experiences.

The institution, Mental Health Awareness Month, was established in 1949 to increase awareness of the importance of mental health and wellness in Americans’ lives and to celebrate recovery from mental illness. It is recognized every May to increase awareness about the vital role mental health plays in our overall health and well-being.

It’s important for people to take care of their own well-being, but it can be hard to know where to start. Mental Health America strives to help the community of those struggling: learn, act and advocate. Their website shares a variety  of mental health stories and delves into how modern life affects mental health; including new resources to navigate the changing world. 

When trying to combat mental health problems, action is very important. It’s necessary to build a mindset and method to be able to manage stress, difficult emotions and challenging situations. Pleasant Valley’s very own mental health club, the PV branch of  The Gray Matters Collective, has been working hard to support their students during May.

The head of the club, Mr. Terronez, explained what projects TGMC is working on this month. “We are throwing a dodgeball game, called Dodge the Stigma. Additionally all month we have free “You Matter” bracelets in the counseling office for anyone,” Terronez said. He continued to say, “Big change can come from seemingly small acts, and everyone can make a positive impact and we hope to spread that message”.

Additionally, advocating is very important but can also be frightening. In order to improve one’s own mental health  and the mental health of others, it needs to be talked about. People should strive to create a safe space and community among friends and peers to normalize speaking about their struggles.

Senior Ella Hurst, a member of The Gray Matters Collective shared her advice: “advocating allows us to create change, and more importantly, when we speak up others feel brave enough to share their story as well.”

Recognizing  May as the month of Mental Health Awareness helps bring attention to trauma and the impact it can have on the physical, emotional and mental well-being of children, families and communities. One advantage of dedicating May to mental health awareness is to promote prevention. 

It’s important to remember that treatment is effective, and people can recover from mental disorders and live full and productive lives. Prevention efforts can vary based on the audience needing to be addressed, level of intensity and the development phase someone is in. From the National Academy Press, prevention practices include programs for selected at-risk populations, school-based interventions, interventions in primary care settings, and community services designed to address a multitude of mental health needs and populations.

Hurst shared a few words of wisdom: “The stigmatization of mental health can only be overcome through sharing our stories and experiences, without that we all struggle individually, without community.”

Mental Health Month commemorates the lengths America has gone to in promoting mental health and increasing the public’s knowledge that effective services and support are available. For anyone struggling with the pressure of today’s world, feeling alone or wondering if they can feel better, there are resources and information to support anyone.