Measuring happiness

Each year, since 2012, the Sustainable Development Solutions Network has released a World Happiness Report surveying how happy people around the world are. The report is published annually on the International Day of Happiness, March 20, as part of an event sponsored by the United Nations.

The 2017 report ranked 155 countries on their levels of happiness. This year, Norway was crowned the happiest country. CNN.com reported, “After ranking fourth for the last two years, Norway jumped three spots and displaced three-time winner Denmark to take the title of ‘world’s happiest country’ for the first time.”

Other countries making the top ten list included Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden.

The United States was ranked 14, falling one place from last year’s report.

There are many factors that go into determining these rankings. Real gross domestic product per capita is one of the main influencers, along with “generosity, a healthy life expectancy, having someone to count on, perceived freedom to make life choices and freedom from corruption,” according to CNN.com.

Noticeably, the reports do not use factors such as education, government, or poverty to determine the rankings. This is because the report aims to measure people’s overall well-being by looking at the things that matter most to them.

According to worldhappiness.report, this year’s report also included information on the social foundations of world happiness, the growth and happiness in China, waiting for happiness in Africa, the key determinants of happiness and misery, happiness at work, and ways to restore American happiness.  

The goal of the World Happiness Report is to promote happiness around the world. Jeffrey Sachs, the report’s co-editor, told CNN.com, “This report gives evidence that happiness is a result of creating strong social foundations. It’s time to build social trust and healthy lives, not guns or walls. Let’s hold our leaders to this fact.”