Advanced preparation for AP exams

Tips for students taking AP exams

Beginning in May, many students from Pleasant Valley will be taking the Advanced Placement exams in a number of different subjects. Students hope to score well on the exams due to the possibility of getting college credit if they score high enough. Some students have already started preparing for the upcoming exams. Here are some tips that can aid students in preparing for their AP tests.

Many students at PV have taken numerous AP exams throughout their high school careers, and have found different ways to better prepare themselves for the exams. Patrick McMonagle, senior, has had some experience with AP exams. McMonagle said, “All of my teachers have provided practice exams in class. Those are probably the most helpful thing for me. I’ll take the test and use that to determine what I don’t know.” Students utilize their teachers because they often contain very valuable information and insight about what the AP test will be like, such as; question types, wording, and what they are looking for. Many teachers will often offer practice exams, which have been released by the College Board, to help students see what the exam will actually be like. These practice tests occasionally contain questions that were on AP tests in the past.

Ike Sears, senior, has taken five AP tests and plans to take four more this May. Sears said, “I believe the most important way to prepare is to do well in the class. If students understand what’s going on in the class, then they already know what’s going to be on the AP test.” Sears also said, “Especially for people taking their first one, they should talk to their teacher about the AP test. The teacher will usually recommend taking practice tests, which is one of the best ways to prepare.” Teachers are often willing to give students as much information about the AP test as they can, so students are well prepared for when test day arrives.

Some students have found success using a variety of different study books to help them prepare for the AP tests. There are various versions of study books available for students to purchase online or at some bookstores. In addition to study books, some students utilize flash cards as a way to review things such as key terms or important ideas for the test.