North Park Elementary School murder

Brett Hondow via Pixabay

A school murder and suicide happened at North Park Elementary School in Cailfornia, killing two people and the shooter himself. Cedric Anderson was the man responsible for this disaster.

The school shooting started out as a revenge hit on the man’s ex-wife, Karen Smith. Smith was well known in her career and many looked up to her. Teachers at North Park Elementary School are speaking out about Smith and her accomplishments as a special education teacher.

Anderson and Smith knew each other for four years before they decided to get married. After being married for just a few short months, Smith left Anderson. According to foxnews.com Smith said, “I thought he was going to be a great husband, but I shortly found out he wasn’t a good husband at all.” Anderson was known to get in trouble with weapons and drugs, which only escalated after they were married.

Anderson walked into the the school through the main office and asked if he could deliver a package to Smith. The office let Anderson walk into the building and go to Smith’s room. When he walked into her room, he shot Smith. In the process of trying to shoot her, Anderson missed and killed an 8 year old and injured another 9 year old. Once Smith had died, he quickly shot himself.

At Pleasant Valley, students practice a drill called ALICE. According to Pleasval.org, “ALICE stands for Alert Lockdown Inform Counter Evaluate. Teachers provide instructions for each section of the acronym for the students.”

Using ALICE at Pleasant Valley helps ensure student are protected and the staff is trained on what to do in school shooting situations. During this drill, the school prepares students and staff members on what to do if someone actually does come into the building wanting to hurt someone. October 17 was the last time this drill was practiced at Pleasant Valley High School.
In an ALICE drill, the deputy is in the hallway with a bullhorn. Over the intercom, a teacher announces that a “shooter” is in the building and that an ALICE drill is taking place. All of the classrooms then either barricade the doors or exit the building, depending on where they are. Information is continuously given to help students and staff stay informed about the situation. Practicing these drills are intended to help Pleasant Valley remain safe if a situation like this ever does occur.