PV’s pricy prom

Stacey Kennedy via Pixabay

This year, students at Pleasant Valley have experienced an increase in price of tickets to attend their school dances. Students were thrown for a loop when they found that the turnabout tickets were going to be 10 dollars a piece. Many students started to grumble and complain, but still students bought tickets and attended the dance as normal. After the turnabout ticket dilemma, students are facing the same problem with the upcoming prom dance and rap event.

This year, prom tickets will set students at PV back 20 dollars for one ticket to the dance. Traditionally the males pay for the tickets to the dance, so it will cost the students 40 dollars for the student and their date to attend the dance. In addition to the price to get into the dance, many students will be attending the rap event that takes place right after the dance. Tickets for the rap event will cost students an additional 10 dollars per ticket. That comes to a total of 30 dollars per person just to get into all the events of prom night. The cost of entrance isn’t the only expense that students are going to incur come prom night however. The cost of dinner can range anywhere from 50 dollars to 100 dollars, depending on the restaurant. On top of dinner and the tickets, there is an optional picture that can be purchased at the dance for a minimum of 20 dollars.

This increase in prices has discouraged some students from attending prom this year. Hadden Henderson, senior, said. “I was thinking about going to prom this year but the prices are a little outrageous and I might just end up going to rap and not the dance itself.” Marie DeLessio, senior, said, “I think it’s unfair that the prices are so high. It’s unfortunate that we have to pay so much for a school function and it probably prevents a lot of people from going.” The cost could cause a lower attendance for prom but most students will most likely pay the price to enjoy their night at prom.