Importance of arts at PV

Importance of arts at PV

It is well known that math and science are two subjects in schools today that are put at the top of the learning pyramid. The No Child Left Behind movement is at fault for this, because of its emphasis on preparing kids for higher education and workplace readiness. But with the ever growing stress over STEM subjects in schools today, there has been a loss of acceptance for studies in the subject of fine arts.

This is a continuing problem for kids, as well as employers, because without art classes, students are losing their ability to be creative. Aimee Peters, one of Pleasant Valley’s art teachers said, “Most people don’t realize that math and science are arts. It takes creativity to do any job. Employers look for people who can think of new solutions to problems and creative problem solving is what art is all about.”

It is pure ignorance to overlook or demean the art programs in schools, because without them, kids would lose the ability to think outside of the box. Without this skill, kids will be unable to redefine a problem they are faced with, thus causing them overuse the same old solutions that may not work.

In addition to the learning and skill developer aspect of fine arts, doing art has been a proven to be psychologically beneficial to kids. Meaning, working on art can reduce stress and increase the emotional stability of humans. Making them both happier and healthier.

Peters also said, “I encourage all kids to take art classes here at PV. Regardless of their art background or art abilities, there is a lot more to take away from art than people think.”

Pleasant Valley offers 12 different art classes to their students that teach a variety of different art skills. Art teachers, Aimee Peters and Devin Hanson, work tirelessly with overloaded schedules to teach kids one of the most valuable life skills, Creativity.