Puppy protection

About a year ago, investigations looking into a suspected illegal dog-fighting ring began in Rock Island, Illinois and Davenport, Iowa. In April of 2016, 64 pit bulls were seized in a raid, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals provided them with temporary care.

The fights were suspected of taking place in Illinois, Iowa, Alabama, and Mississippi, and the dogs were allegedly bought and transported from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Alabama, and Mississippi. Investigations began after law enforcement received an anonymous tip.

In response to this bust, Cindy VanLandegen created an organization known as AAVENGE, or Animal Abuse and Violence Ends Now through Greater Enforcement.

According to AAVENGE.org, “AAVENGE wants to educate the public, promote public awareness with regard to animal abuse and violence against humans, and help enact meaningful legislation to protect those who have no voice.”

AAVENGE, based out of Rock Island, Illinois, hosts a variety of fundraisers and events throughout the year to raise money for abused animals. They also work to raise awareness for animal cruelty, especially concerning dog-fighting.

Whenever the group hears of animals in need, regardless of where they are or what their situation is, they do all that they can to help.

AAVENGE.org said, “While on patrol in Afghanistan, a group of soldiers came across a little puppy along the side of the road that followed them on their march. Afghanistan is not the best place in the world for a dog, so AAVENGE made a donation and we kept tabs on fundraising efforts. Delilah, the dog, made it safely home to Texas.”

VanLandegen hopes the recent dog-fighting bust in the Quad Cities will help people to become more aware of the issue in the local area. She told WQAD, “People always think, ‘Oh, not in my backyard. It’s not happening here.’ And I have said all along, if you think it’s not happening here, you’re kidding yourself.”

People are encouraged to look for signs of possible dog-fighting activity. According to WQAD, “These include dogs with open wounds or bites, ears cropped extremely short, and heavy chains around their necks. Other warning signs are numerous litters of puppies being born, different dogs coming and going from a house, and unusual numbers of people arriving and leaving at odd hours.”
AAVENGE says some of the best ways for the public to help in their efforts are by being aware of these warning signs, reporting any suspicious activity, encouraging elected officials to enact legislation concerning the issue, and by donating to a reputable rescue group.