Students’ studying strategies

All Pleasant Valley students are anxiously awaiting the end of school, and the beginning of summer. However, before the break can begin, students must make it through their final exams.

For many students, finals bring great amounts of stress and anxiety. The grade one receives on their final exam can determine their overall grade in the class. However, there are some strategies students can use to help minimize their stress levels. Many Pleasant Valley students have learned to take advantage of them.

Students should never procrastinate studying until the last minute, as they cannot cover all of the information learned throughout the semester in one night. Students need to make sure to give themselves plenty of time to prepare. Additionally, students should go over the information again on the day of the test, so the content is fresh in their minds.

Alex Leonard, senior, said, “I always try to start studying a few days before the actual test in case I don’t understand something. If I don’t start studying until the night before, I don’t have time to ask questions over things I’m confused about.”

There are also certain things a student should do in order to ensure the time they spend studying is meaningful. Distractions should be minimal so the student can focus on the information. Cell phones, TV’s, music, and other conversations can take a person’s mind off of their studying. Information is learned best when it is given an individual’s full attention.

Azariah Courtney, sophomore, said, “I’ve learned that I need to put my phone away from me when I study so it doesn’t distract me. I have a hard time paying attention when it’s next to me, so having it out of sight helps me stay on track.”

Study groups are another way to help ensure studying is effective. It is helpful to go over information with other students from that class, as they can help clear up any confusion that may occur. Another good way to make sure one understands something is to explain it to someone else.

Jacob McCredie, sophomore, said, “I’ve learned that studying with your friends is really helpful before a big test because you can go over some of the more complicated information together so that everybody will understand it. Being with your friends also makes the studying a little more fun.”

The resource period offered during the finals schedule is another huge benefit to students that is often not taken advantage of enough. This period is built into the day to allow students to ask their teachers questions and to help them feel prepared before the test. It is extremely beneficial, and teachers are always happy to help clarify any confusing topics.

Allison Miller, senior, said, “Resource was a huge benefit to me during my calculus class first semester. It really helped to go over the things we learned in class with the teacher again.”

There are countless ways to study, and each person needs to figure out the method that works best for them. Doing so will help them be successful throughout high school, college, and life.