Pack your Bags!

Pleasant Valley students have the unique opportunity to travel the world beside fellow students and teachers. Stephanie Risius from the Spanish department has been taking students on trips around the world for 16 years now. This year, she has three trips planned that both students and parents can partake in throughout the 2017-2018 school year.  

During spring break 2018, Risius has booked a trip to Greece. That will be her 26th trip with students and accompanying her will be Jennifer Levora and Lynne Lundberg, both from the English Department. Risius says she is excited for this trip because she hasn’t “been [on a trip to Greece] in 4 years” and “to go back and see it again and show new kids” is something fun to do because “different kids show you different things.” On this trip to Greece, students will get to visit the places they learn about in their world history and world literature classes.

This summer, Risius has a new trip planned for students that are looking to improve their Spanish skills buy interacting with locals in Spain. Students will be going to Madrid to take classes that will give them the opportunity to “use the language more purposefully.” Then, they will continue their trip to Barcelona to view the touristy places that are learned about through the Spanish curriculum here at PVHS. Brenner Stickney, a junior at Pleasant Valley High School,  has signed up for the Spanish immersion trip. Stickney says he is looking forward to getting the chance to “meet locals and interact with them rather than just seeing touristy things.” Stickney has been on two previous trips with Risius, including Ecuador and South Africa.  

In addition to these two trips, Risius will be continuing her volunteer work with Voices of Peru. There will be three trips made to Peru in the Summer of 2018. These trips allow students the chance to use Spanish with children, learn about new cultures and earn service learning hours. Risius says she wants students to understand that “you can read or hear about something, but until you travel and see new cultures you can’t understand it.”

Risius will be having informational meetings within the next two weeks. Keep an eye out for the times and dates in the announcements or talk to Risius.