Reaching for the 36

As the next ACT date quickly approaches, many students find themselves ill prepared for the four hour standardized test. Widely accepted by many colleges and universities, the ACT is an in-depth assessment of students’ aptitudes and capabilities in four major subject areas: English, reading, science, and mathematics. Ranked on a numerical scale from 1 to 36, the test is often a source of great frustration and stress. To help alleviate the pressure on students to achieve the big three-six, here are some of the best insider tips from top scoring students at Pleasant Valley High School.

There are only so many ways to study for the ACT – and many seem ineffectual after often weeks of continual practice. While the most commonly utilized technique is repeatedly taking practice tests, it is often less effective than alternative methods and can lead to faster burn-out rates due to the length of the test itself. Practice may make perfect for some, but not everyone finds repetitive test-taking to be the key to their success.

Senior Ashlyn Haack, who scored a 36 on the ACT this summer, said that instead of taking on the entire test at once, she first focused on specific section tests. “Rather than taking the whole test itself, I took certain sections so that I would get acquainted with the specific types of questions.”

Haack’s strategy for the reading section was to speed through the passage and refer back when certain lines were cited. “Time management is key for reading and science,” she said. “So it’s easiest for me to divide the time up evenly between the passages so I can check the time each time I finish and turn a page.”

Another successful senior, Daniel Romans suggested the official ACT Online Prep (which can be ordered alongside the ACT test), saying that it helped him cram a week before his test date. The resource aided him by providing tricky questions that students frequently missed and tips on solving difficult questions.

Alongside Romans, senior Anna Banerjee, who scored very high on the ACT last April, added that she had set a plan a month in advance.

“I had a planner of which section test I was taking when and what section tips I should read,” Banerjee said. “Making sure that I stuck to a schedule and practiced what I needed to was an important part of my success.”

Banerjee also advised others that creating calculator programs suitable for common, yet tedious, problems made answering much faster, especially within the math section of the test.

Aptitude tests like the ACT are often difficult to provide concrete advice for — some students may agree that these tips are useful while others may approach the ACT at a different angle and find equal success. However, in the end, it’s important to remember that it’s not all about the number and ACT scores, while they might feel all-consuming now, they are not the most important part of life.