Power returning to Florida

Colin Behrens via Pixabay

Even though the hurricane may be over, the repairs are just beginning. Millions are returning to their homes in Florida to find that their houses have been completely or partially destroyed. In addition to houses, many trees and power lines were uprooted, leaving millions without power. According to CNN, approximately 4.4 million people are without power in Florida, as well as around 560,000 in Georgia, and around 99,000 in North and South Carolina and also some in Alabama.

The nasty tropical storm caused a rise in temperatures in Florida. Millions are without proper air condition and water, leaving it difficult to stay healthy in the hot and muggy Florida heat. The average temperatures, according to CNN, are in the upper 80’s and mid 90’s. This can possibly create the risk for a heat-related illness if people aren’t taking precautions. 8 people in a nursing home have already died because of the poor conditions.  Florida Governor Rick Scott said, “ With the sweltering temperatures, restoration of power is crucial.”

The restoration of power can help prevent the death toll from rising. The high temperatures combined with the outrageous humidity and the mosquitos and all of the debris all over can cause a miserable situation that could turn deadly. If people are not careful about where they are and what they are doing, it could cause serious risk to their health.

“All people want to do is return to see what is left of their belongings.” Governor Scott says, “After visiting shelters this week and talking to people who evacuated due to Hurricane Irma, the number one thing I heard from families is that they want their power back on.” Without power, phones and ways of communications are cut off, there is no running water or proper air conditioning and hospitals cannot function properly.

According to the energy companies like Duke Energy in Florida and CNN, Florida residents could have power as soon as this weekend on the Eastern parts of Florida which were not affected by the landfall. The other parts that were hit with the landfall might have to wait until September 22. These are also just estimates so it could occur sooner or later than these approximations. The energy companies are working hard to restore power back to its customers and are hoping to have it back on within the next week or so.

As Governor Scott said, it is very crucial to restore power to the citizens so they can begin coming back from this tragic experience.