College Admissions: the guide to your complete (un)happiness

Jim Henderson via Wikimedia Commons

It’s that time of year! Time for seniors to get ready to spend hours upon hours pulling out their hair in search of that perfect aspect of their life to set them apart from other high achieving students, realizing how dull their lives actually are! This process can range from bad to God-awful. Don’t worry, because I’m here to give you the steps to have the best college application ever:

1. Make sure to make yourself better than you actually are: It’s amazing what different wording can do to your application. These admissions officers aren’t going to know what some of your activities stand for. For example, if you helped set up flags for flag football in gym class, you can call yourself “Equipment Manager for Government Sponsored Sports Class”. This makes yourself sound much more interesting than you actually are.
  2.  Make sure to put every achievement possible on there: Even though the saying is quality over quality, the admissions officers don’t know the magnitude of your achievements as long as they are within the school! So if you show that you’ve done a lot in the school, they’ll think you’re unique because no one else has those awards. In fact, you can just make up awards! Then you’ll be the most unique student applying to said school. So, if you want to say that you’re the “Carpet Cleaning Champion” for 2 years in a row at the “Cleanoporium”, then go right ahead!
  3. Your essay has to have feeling: Remember, these admissions officers don’t know everything about your life, so if something happened to you that affected you deeply, then definitely write about it! Your essay must give the admissions officers a glimpse of your personality, so give it to them. Your essay must be personal, and only you could have written it. So write about whatever captures you as a person.
  4. Don’t stress: In all honesty, the admissions process has so many random factors within it. Don’t get stressed because you didn’t get into your top choice, because it probably wasn’t right for you. College is a time for you to have fun. So you’ll find the place that matches you best, and know that you’ll make the right decision for where you want to go.

Hopefully these steps will help you, and I wish you great luck in your ability to showcase yourself as best as possible, even though things like test scores and high school grades won’t matter in a year.