ACT, stress-free edition

For many seniors, the October ACT will be the last chance for them to reach for a higher score before college application deadlines that are set in November. For other students, it may also be the first of many ACTs they would take during the 4 years of high school. When it comes to the ACT score, many students and parents link that to the overall success of a student. Therefore, a higher ACT score means better college, education and ultimately more success in the future.

However, those ideas are not necessarily always true.

It is true that most colleges will look at an applicant’s standardized test scores, such as the ACT or SAT, and use that information to help decide whether to admit the applicant. But the standardized score does not mean everything. Colleges also look at the applicant from other angles that includes both academic, such as GPA or class rank, and extracurricular, which includes sports and community service. This holistic admission system does not simply judge students by how well they did on a test where they sat down for 4 hours and attempted to fill out bubbles before time runs out on a Saturday morning. Rather, they ask the question: “What can the student bring to contribute to the University and the community and how?”

As more and more colleges start to adapt this holistic application, the ACT scores also start to matter less. However, the stress behind the ACT is not decreasing. It is not hard to spot students that are bothered by the stress of an upcoming ACT. Though a reasonable amount of stress can help test takers to keep up with the study plan, it’s undebatable too much stress does more harm than good.

According to guidance counselor Kerry Anderson, “The ACT is a test that tests if a student is ready for college level courses.” In addition, materials tested on the ACT are progressively built up during the 4 years of high school, not over a month of sleepless nights. The best way to study for the ACT is to take challenging classes in high school and try one’s best to understand the materials taught in those classes.

Callum Revel, a senior who has taken the ACT three times, believes that the ACT should not be stressful: “I see it as just another test that I have to take.” When it comes to preparing for the test, he only “studied the night before, but still got a decent score.”
Regardless if the October ACT will be your first or last, remember that the ACT doesn’t mean everything. “There are all kinds of free prep sites on the counseling office’s website,” Anderson said. She also suggested that first time ACT takers should keep in mind the fact that their first ACT should serve to tell them what the test looks like and what they need to improve on. If you do find yourself stressed about the ACT or any other standardized tests, take Revell’s tip: “Chilling is the best strategy.”

$480
$1000