Breaking the silence: the #MeToo movement

Mihai Surdu via pixabay

Discussions regarding sexual harassment and assault are discouraged in American society. Victims are often silenced by fear of judgment, rather than encouraged to share their stories. On Sunday, October 15, a movement on Twitter was created by actress Alyssa Milano to tweet “#MeToo,” supporting those who have been sexually harassed or assaulted. In the first 24 hours, the hashtag had been tweeted nearly half a million times. These tweets featured a range of acknowledgement from just the hashtag to victims sharing their stories.

No matter how people expressed “#MeToo,” each tweet had the same principle and bravery. Milano explained the point of the moment, stating, “We might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.” The major issue impacting our society is the normalization and disregard of sexual harassment and assault.

As Harvey Weinstein’s allegations have dominated the news circuit, people see celebrities standing up and sharing their stories. The “#MeToo” movement flooding social media expresses the idea that sexual harassment and assault are not uncommon and occur among all groups of people. This hashtag helps victims understand there is no need to stay silent in fear of society’s reaction, as there are many others struggling with the same issues. Tarana Burke, founder of the phrase, said, “I think the one responsibility we have as survivors—once we get to a place where we can—is to create an entry point to healing for other survivors.”

The phrase “Me too” became an expression to empower victims nearly a decade ago. Burke, program director for Brooklyn-based Girls for Gender Equality, created the phrase in 2006 specifically to motivate surviving women and girls to stand up and share their stories of sexual harassment or assault. “It made my heart swell to see women using this idea—one that we call ‘empowerment through empathy’—to not only show the world how widespread and pervasive sexual violence is, but also to let other survivors know they are not alone. #metoo,” Burke tweeted.

“#MeToo” sparks a more widespread movement occurring outside of social media and in the healing process of victims. As this spreads awareness, the real work begins as communities educate and correct this societal flaw.

$480
$1000