Opening doors for students

One department that is often overlooked by many students is the English as Second Language (ESL) department. The ESL classes taught at PV help students who are not fluent in English individually and work with them to progressively to improve their English skills. The ESL teachers also help students with their schoolwork from all other classes.

The ESL teachers are usually the first a new student who moved here from another country meet. The student will be tested on their English language skills and other academic subjects in order to place them into proper classes. Students with significant difficulties are also assigned a tablet with translation apps to help them throughout their daily classes.

For native students, it is no challenge to go to a class and understand what everyone is saying. However, it can be difficult and even terrifying for a foreign student to walk into a class knowing that they might not understand what’s going on. Former ESL student Mohammed Omar commented, “The limits of your language are the limits of your world.” The ESL class does a great job to help those students’ transition into those brand new environments.

Over the years, the ESL students at PVHS learn about different aspects of American English that might not be taught in a traditional English class. Those things include slangs and proverbs used in everyday conversations. In addition, a brief introduction about the American government and its structure is also covered.

By the end of each year, ESL students will be tested again to track their progress over the year. If one passes a certain benchmark, he or she will be given the option to exit the class while still being enrolled in the ESL program.

While ESL might be one of the lesser known classes in PV, the effect of this class cannot be undermined. Omar emphasizes, “Learning a new language gives you many opportunities and opens many doors for you.”

$480
$1000