Playoffs: rivalry rematch

In the first round of football playoffs this Friday, the Spartans will go head-to-head against the Bettendorf Bulldogs for the second time this season. The first matchup between the rivaling teams earlier in the season resulted in a 27-17 Bulldog victory. The upcoming game gives the Spartans another chance to defeat their cross-town opponents.

Playoff games are highly competitive in nature because the winning team advances to the next round while the losing team’s season comes to an end. Head coach of the Pleasant Valley football team, Rusty VanWetzinga, stated, “The playoffs are like a second season. Playoff games are intense and there is definitely an added dimension when we are playing against Bettendorf.”

The Spartans are eager to bounce back from their 10 point loss to the Bulldogs during the fourth week of the regular season. Senior running back, Arthur Braden, emphasized, “One big thing that we hope is different in this game is that our team makes big plays. Big time players make big plays in big time games and we know that we are going to have to do that on Friday night to win.”

With their season on the line, the Spartans are using the rivalry game as a source of motivation to keep their journey to the dome alive. Braden said, “Our motivation is not losing to them [Bettendorf] twice in one year. We are going to give it everything we have to beat them!”

Although the rivalry game serves as an inspirational force for the players, VanWetzinga mentioned how it can also be detrimental to the team, “With rivalry games comes unnecessary added pressure that can really weigh heavily on the players,” said VanWetzinga.

Pleasant Valley will have to remain poised under pressure and execute big plays on Friday in order to come out victorious over Bettendorf. The Spartans are seeking redemption against the Bulldogs this Friday night. The matchup at Touvelle Stadium will determine which team survives and advances to the next round of the playoffs.

$480
$1000