Granola galore

WikimediaImages via Pixabay

School mornings can be hectic, and students usually don’t have enough time to eat breakfast, so they grab a granola bar. Granola bars are great because they are a quick and easy option that making eating on-the-go much easier. Most Americans believe granola bars are healthy; a 2016 New York Times Survey of 2,000 Americans revealed that more than 70 percent described granola bars as healthy. However, less than one third of nutritional experts agreed.

Granola bars tend to have some health benefits because of the grains, which are high in fiber (aids in fighting heart disease, diabetes, and even some cancers). Some also include dried fruits and nuts, which are high in protein (builds and repairs muscle). But despite their health benefits, they are loaded with added sugars, often coated in chocolate or contain bits of it. Several bars are just glorified candy bars. Claire Thomsen, a senior, states “I have seen granola bars that contain over 20 grams of added sugars.”

On the other hand, not every granola bar is bad for you. Here are 5 granola bars that are great for you:

RXBARs contain around 210-230 calories each, and have only six ingredients, all of which are easily recognizable. The main ingredients are nuts, dates and egg whites, meaning they contain a lot of protein. They do not contain added sugar, gluten, soy or dairy. They also have some that do not contain nuts, providing options for those who may be allergic.

CORE Food bars are made entirely from plant products, therefore containing no added sugars. They are 100% gluten free, organic and vegan. Since they don’t containing any non-perishables, they are more of a hassle—but they are more fresh and it is easier for your body to digest. Each bar is higher in calories (around 300 calories), but can easily be substituted as a meal.

This Bar Saves Lives is not only good for you, but good for others. Every bar purchased helps to feed a child in need by providing them with a life saving meal packet. So far they have helped donate over 500,000 food packets to children in Haiti, Nepal, the Philippines, and Guatemala. These bars are rich with nuts and seeds, providing you with a great source of fiber and a happy mind.

KIND healthy grain bars are very high in nutrients. They do contain added sugars in order to achieve the desired taste, but they only contain 5 grams at the most. The KIND Foundation also aims to provide positive programming in communities in order to create more empathic and kind communities.

LӒRABARS appear to contain a lot of sugars when you first look at the label, but it is all from natural sugars. The majority of the sugar content is from dates, which make up one of six simple ingredients. They are also high in healthy fat and fiber, making you feel more full.

When purchasing granola bars, make sure to read the label carefully. If it is full of added sugars, don’t put it in the cart, and purchase a healthier alternative instead. Also, if the bar contains lots of ingredients (many of which are hard to pronounce), put it back. The more ingredients it contains, the harder it is for your body to break down. Snacking on-the-go doesn’t have to compromise your health with these healthier alternatives.

$580
$1000