Keep the spirit of giving alive

Keep the spirit of giving alive

The Pleasant Valley Student Hunger Drive has come to an end, but that doesn’t mean that giving back to the community has to come to a halt. With cold weather approaching and Thanksgiving just around the corner, there are many organizations in the Quad Cities that are looking for donations. While many students at PV are fortunate enough to have enough warm clothes, other people aren’t as lucky. Students can give back to the community, by helping those in need. Many homeless people are in need of warm clothing and essential living supplies in our area.

Humility of Mary Shelter is an emergency shelter in Davenport. This organization provides temporary housing and services to men and women who are homeless. The shelter gives people the chance to become stable: emotionally, physically, and mentally. The shelter also helps restore citizens and breaks the cycle of homelessness. Donations are accepted at 3805 Mississippi Avenue in Davenport, Iowa. The most urgent items include: cleaning products, linens, hygiene products, maintenance supplies, office supplies, kitchen items, and clothing for men and women.

“The purpose of the Humility of Mary Shelter is to help people in the community who are experiencing homelessness and turn their situation around. Primarily, this shelter is used as a place to stay. We do have a clothing donation room. Resources often come from local services to meet with the homeless people staying at our facility. They come to address any mental health problems, and connect them with social security. We try to help homeless people make the transition from staying here, to applying for a job and getting a house,” Humility of Mary Manager, Jesse Mohr said. The shelter is always looking for donations, but there are specific items the shelter is looking for, now that winter weather will soon be approaching.

“We are really looking for donations. Winter clothing such as hats and gloves would be really helpful right now,” Mohr said.

“It is important to donate used clothing, especially if you are just going to throw it away. People are in need this upcoming winter season, and donating winter clothes can really help those experiencing homelessness,” senior, Payton Krueger said.

Pleasant Valley has took the food hunger drive by storm by giving back to the community with thousands of canned goods. Students can keep the spirit of giving alive by donating any winter clothes that don’t fit them anymore to 3805 Mississippi Avenue in Davenport, Iowa. Help the homeless people in the community, as winter is right around the corner.