Domino effect of Hollywood

If you have been keeping up with the news lately, you are probably well aware of the sexual abuse in the entertainment industry. It seems as though everyday, new big names are being exposed for using their position in the industry to manipulate those below them for their own personal gain. Although this behavior has been kept secret for quite some time, over the past few months, it has gained widespread attention and is continuing to unfold. A big part of this is because victims finally feel comfortable speaking out about the abusers, as others have spoken out about them first. After a few women came out with allegations stating that Harvey Weinstein participated in sexual misconduct, over 80 women vocalized their own experiences with him. Once word got out about Weinstein and the consequences for his actions, other victims felt safe to speak up about their own traumatizing experiences. About a month after Weinstein was exposed, 15 young men spoke out about experiences they had with Kevin Spacey. Other big names uncovered as participating in sexual assault were Louis C.K., Ed Westwick and Ben Affleck.

These are just some of the many men and women that have been exposed because of this “Weinstein effect.” This same thing has happened with many abusers in Hollywood. In the industry, you do not want to get in the way of people in powerful positions. Although, after one victim comes out with a story about a specific person, other victims of the same abuser feel safe to speak out. Many committing assaults are people who are big in the industry and use their power to manipulate those below them for their own personal gain. People of power manipulate others by telling them they could help them make it big in Hollywood, however if they don’t comply, then their careers will suffer.

This type of blackmail has gone on for many years, but luckily after the Weinstein case, there have finally been repercussions. Weinstein has been kicked out of his producing company and expelled from the Academy. Spacey also faced consequences when he was fired from his long running TV show, House of Cards. Many of the people being accused are having to pay for their actions, however some are overlooked. Just recently, Mel Gibson was hired to play a big role in the blockbuster sequel to Daddy’s Home. This shocked many people because of the many allegations against him saying Gibson has abused his wife and ex-girlfriend. Many are upset that after all that has happened, some of the people accused still aren’t facing consequences. In the future, as more names come out, there seems to be potential that harsher actions will be taken to stop this behavior altogether.