Stricter Gun Laws Won’t Solve Anything

Rudy and Peter Skitterians via Pixabay

After the church shooting in Texas left at least 26 people dead, everyone turns to Donald Trump for the answer. Everyone just assumes that since there was a crazed man who went rogue that we need to make gun laws stricter, or we need to get rid of guns all together. Sometimes the gun isn’t the reason people die, it’s the person behind the trigger that is the main cause.

Trump was confronted about the shooting in a news conference in Japan. His response to the situation was by saying, “This isn’t a gun situation. This is a mental health problem at the highest level. It’s a very, very sad event, but that’s the way I view it.” However, this is not strictly one or the other. This can be both a gun control, and a mental health issue.

Stricter gun laws are not the only answer. If we make guns harder to get, people will find other ways of getting them. If someone is determined on getting a gun they most likely will whether it’s legal or not.. Guns are easier to get than most people think. Also if gun laws are stricter it may prevent people from getting new guns, but what about everyone who already has a gun. If the government tries to take away all the guns, there’s going to be a lot of angry people. That will cause even more riots that’s why Trump says this is not the answer.

The second amendment states the right to bear arms and it exists for the reason of protection. People feel that they need guns to keep themselves and their families safe. In most cases they are only used for that reasons. There isn’t much controversy over people having knives despite the amount of stabbings that go on so, it should be the same with guns. They are only dangerous if those who are using them are not properly trained. There is a lot of controversy on the guns itself but the real issue is the people behind the gun.

Trump thinks this is more of a mental health problem according to his quote earlier mentioned and the fact he said, “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.” Mental health is probably the more serious issue when it comes to gun violence and mass shootings. A mentally sane person with no motive for revenge or anything is probably not going to shoot up a place versus someone isn’t sane and has a reason they believe justifies their actions.  Trump mentioned, “If you did what you’re suggesting, there would have been no difference three days ago and you might not have had that very brave person who happens to have a gun or a rifle in his trunk.” What he’s trying to explain is that making gun laws stricter now will not change what has already happened. Also that any actions he takes now might not prevent the next shooter from acting out. They already have the gun, most likely, so stricter laws aren’t going to take that away from the next shooter.