How to become a healthier eater at school

A bulk of evidence shows that healthy eating is directly linked to students’ success in the classroom. The school is always telling our students to make healthy choices when it comes to deciding what to eat. But, what does “eating healthy” really mean? According to UCLA professor,  Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, “Changes in diet are a viable strategy for enhancing cognitive abilities, protecting the brain from damage and counteracting the effects of aging.”

Many students eat school lunch everyday, but a lot of the things students are choosing to eat are prepackaged and filled with sugar. Eating only sugar for a meal will give you a burst of energy but will eventually make you crash, which is not ideal when you’re in the middle of class. In order to give your body the fuel it needs to function for a 7 hour school day, a good balance of healthy foods is crucial. There are three things that are absolutely necessary to put in your body to have optimal academic performance: omega 3 fatty acids, protein, and good carbohydrates.

Omega 3 fatty acids are something the body needs to be able to function. It provides major health benefits like fighting against ADHD and depression as well as improving learning and memory skills. Gomez-Pinilla, who has been eating a balanced diet his whole life, explains, “Omega 3 fatty acids are essential.” Examples of omega 3 fatty acids are nuts, seeds, and fish. A recommended snack to get your omega 3 fix is chocolate covered almonds.

Protein is needed to provide stamina for the body. It also helps to build and repair tissue which is great for students involved in a lot of activities or lifting. Eggs, nuts, chicken, greek yogurt, and milk are all great sources of protein and are easily accessible to most students. A popular snack for a protein boost is celery or apples with a side of peanut butter.

Carbohydrates are often looked upon as unhealthy, however some carbohydrates are very healthy and important to your body function. Healthy carbohydrates provide nutrients and fiber without causing spikes or dips in blood sugar. Eating whole grains or whole wheat bread instead of white bread and pre packaged carbs will help provide your body with energy that it needs. Whole wheat toast with jam is a great option for a snack containing whole grains.
Although being committed to a healthy diet can be challenging, students who take care of their bodies will have more success in academics. Hopefully schools all around the country will start to inform their students of what a healthy diet is. PV senior, Kinsey Paulson, says, “I think that students could benefit from learning more about how to create a healthy meal.” Putting an extra five minutes into your day to pack a healthy lunch or plan out what lunch items to choose at school will greatly help all students’ physical and mental health throughout the long school day.

$480
$1000