Humanitarian crisis in Yemen

In the Arab Peninsula, just under Saudi Arabia, lies the small country of Yemen. Despite its small size, the country has enormous struggles: economic instability, devastation from an ongoing war and the lack of the bare necessities to survive that are desperately needed by millions. Water, food and health care shortages are desolating the country, only strengthened in severity by the recent escalation in the conflict between a rebel movement and the internationally recognized president of Yemen. The humanitarian crisis worsens every day, as countless innocent lives are threatened.

One of the poorest countries in the Arab world, Yemen has had instability struggles for years. After a shaky political transition, President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi obtained power in Yemen in November of 2011, inheriting problems such as attacks by Al-Qaeda, corruption, unemployment and food insecurity. Sensing the new president’s weakness, the Houthi rebel movement seized control of lands in northern Yemen. Since then, the rebel movement and those who remain loyal to the former president of Yemen have tried to widen their hold and expand their control. Hadi fled from Yemen, and Saudi Arabia and eight other Arab countries who support the president began an air campaign to restore his control. France, the United States and the United Kingdom have backed the president.

The ongoing war has taken its toll, and civilians are suffering terribly in the constant conflict. According to the UN, 60 percent of the more than 8,600 people killed since March 2015 have been civilians. The conflict has caused a dire situation for civilians in the country; an estimated 20 million need humanitarian assistance, with almost two million malnourished children lacking food. Lack of access to food and supplies is escalating the situation.

Only worsening the problem is the destruction of infrastructure, as the functionality of the distribution of aid depends on the ability to use roads. Additionally, the blockade on vital ports has greatly impacted the receival of relief efforts by organizations such as the United Nations and the World Health Organization. Ships carrying medical supplies, water purification kits and other critically important supplies sent by WHO were blocked recently.

The shortage of health care is especially concerning to Dr. Nevio Zagaria, a WHO representative in Yemen. “We have enough for 2,000 surgeries but because of the escalating conflict we have treated hundreds of trauma patients in the last few weeks alone. If the hostilities continue and the ports remain closed, we will not be able to perform life-saving surgeries or provide basic health care,” Zagaria explains.

Already, an estimated 14.8 million lack basic healthcare. Additionally, an outbreak of cholera has affected around 900 thousand people. Diphtheria is also swiftly spreading, endangering about a million children due to the lack of vaccines. Without vital medical supplies, more civilians will suffer, and more will be lost. A joint statement released by WHO, WFP and Unicef said without the delivery of essential supplies, “untold thousands of innocent victims, among them many children, will die”.

The blockade on government-held ports has been partially lifted, while the UN is still negotiating to reopen rebel ports. The partial lift is not enough, however; the WHO estimates that 3.2 million more people will desperately need food and aid. Around 150 thousand children could die if the situation not resolved. WHO directors say, “To deprive this many from the basic means of survival is an unconscionable act and a violation of humanitarian principles and law.”

The humanitarian crisis is widespread and truly alarming. Millions of innocent lives caught in the crossfire are suffering from hunger and lack of health care, among many other things. Some have fled the worn-torn country, and around two million are internationally displaced. The severity of the situation is already extremely high, and it is only estimated to worsen.