New addition to University of Iowa

University of Iowa has been in the process of building a new children’s hospital since the fall of 2012. The construction is estimated to be done around Thanksgiving. Many families are thankful as this project nears its finish, one being the Kohns. Chris Kohn from the PV science department said, “As a family, we’re pretty excited about it. One of the main reasons is because in the new children’s hospital, the floors will be sectionalized. They’ll have their own pediatric cardiology floor and we won’t have to be around the germs, especially during flu and cold season – which could be hospitalizing when we go in for appointments.”

Containing fourteen floors in total, the hospital will take up a space of 56,250 square feet and will be connected onto the existing hospital’s south side. To date, the hospital has spent 360 million dollars coming from bonds, patient revenue, and private donations. One of the main goals in the building process has been to focus on creating a home-like atmosphere for the kids. One hundred thirty new single-patient rooms have been added as well as little details to the paintings on the walls to make the kids feel comfortable. Scott Turner, Executive Director of UI Children’s Hospital, said, “There’s a great level of energy and excitement, and knowing the impact it’s going to have across the state is going to give people the hope to help us better care for kids.”

The University of Iowa is nationally ranked by U.S. News and World report as one of the country’s “Best Children’s Hospitals.” Kohn agrees by saying, “Well, they saved Will’s life. He’s had three open heart surgeries through the University of Iowa and the nice thing is, once you get in, we always like to say we’re not a number. I could email his doctors and nurses and they get back to me. I’ve got all their numbers; they call me back very promptly if they don’t answer. They’ve affected our lives quite a bit.” The mission of the new hospital is to continue to meet the healthcare needs of children, perform research on children’s diseases, and educate and train future pediatric doctors.

Abigail Schaller, PV senior and future Iowa freshman, said, “I’m excited to have a new place to go to for campus jobs and volunteer opportunities. The hospital will be especially helpful for people who want to work with kids.” The children’s hospital will officially open in December. Many people are thrilled for the new building and what it will bring.

$580
$1000