How safe are we?

One of the most populous city for tourists in the nation is collapsing. Chicago’s credibility is suddenly becoming a threat to all Americans traveling to this area. Throughout the country, there are hundreds and thousands of homicides every year. It is not common, however, to have five hundred murders in nine months — all in one city.

Living in an area where murder is not as common as a bigger city, Pleasant Valley students do not have to worry about this on a daily basis. Bettendorf is a very safe community for families to raise kids. Bettendorf is notorious for being more of an elite town, based on the wealth it provides. Parents have confidence in the community of people who make up this area.

On the contrary, people who grow up in the outside suburbs of Chicago consistently deal with murders and crimes; it becomes a lifestyle. In Chicago, there is a wide range of wealthy and the working class. In some of the poorer neighborhoods outside the city, violence occurs due to the stress levels and anger which some people endure.

Many Pleasant Valley students love to visit Chicago and see all of the interesting sights the city has to offer. Jenna Ruccolo, junior, states “I have never felt unsafe in Chicago.” However, Ruccolo admits city public transportation is worrisome. “Public transit is the most uncomfortable for me because it’s accessible to everyone and you never know what type of people you’ll be standing next to. Especially late at night, it’s pretty sketchy being alone or in a small group.” This statement can be said for most people in any city.

The Chicago homicides are eye-opening for all citizens in the country. People are more careless with their decisions while behind a deadly weapon. “The historical cycle of violence we have seen in some communities must come to an end,” stated a Chicago police officer. 

Safety is becoming more of an issue globally because of the radical gun users and other reckless humans. No matter how safe a community is, there will always be some dangers.

The violence this major city faces every day is something no citizen should ever witness. The scariest thing is, Chicago’s situation could happen anywhere, so the smartest thing to take out of this is to stay aware of your surroundings.