Learning another language

There are almost 7000 languages spoken in the world we live in today. It is predicted that by the end of the century, only a few hundred will be left. Among those 7000 languages, English is the most widespread. English is the official language in over 70 countries. It is understood almost everywhere among educated people, while being the language of internet, the language of finance, the language of air traffic control, and of popular music.

You’re probably wondering why start an article about learning other languages this way if English is taking over. Why bother learning a complete different language if it’ll get to a point where only English is spoken? There are many answers to these questions and I will be addressing some of them in this article:

The first and most important reason is that learning a new language helps people better understand the culture of the country that speaks the language. It creates more positive attitudes and less prejudice toward people who are different.

A language channels thoughts. The setup of a language with all the vocabulary and grammar gives a specific perspective of different things.

French and Spanish are two different languages that mark the word table as feminine. La mesa in spanish, and la table in french. A study showed that if French and Spanish speakers were asked to describe how they viewed a table speaking, their response was that the table would talk with a high and feminine voice. Their language made them identify a table as being a girl and gave them a whole new perspective.

Another reason to learn a different language is that international travel is made easier and more pleasant through knowing a foreign language. When traveling to a foreign country it’s easier to learn and know exactly what places to visit when you’re able to speak to people who are familiar and have lived all their life in that country.

The study of a foreign language also improves the knowledge of one’s own language: English vocabulary skills increase. When learning a different language you come across words you never knew existed. When learning them in a different language, one is able to learn them in their own language.

Whether you’re a freshman, sophomore, or junior, It isn’t too late to sign up for a foreign language class. If you have a busy schedule, there are many online courses or even application that help you! Learning a different language has a huge impact on the learner. It can be a life changing experience.