Christmas Decorations: Do’s and Don’ts

Right around the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas lights and winter holiday decorations go up all over neighborhoods. Whether it’s for those who see them in passing or for your own love of the holidays, millions of people decorate their homes during this time of year—but everyone knows of a house they drive by that has lights haphazardly thrown around a tree or a bush, or a deflating santa and his reindeer. On the other hand, there are houses we say “go overboard,” but only because we are jealous that they are really beautiful and more eye-catching than our own.

Everyone does not need to spend thousands of dollars to have someone professionally decorate their house, but people should still put in more effort than throwing them on or they shouldn’t put any up at all.

Deflated blow up decorations and tacky bush lights aren’t the only things that bother people; a new trend of digital projected lights onto the home or garage has conjured up a lot of mixed feelings. “The projected lights are distracting when they move, and just look lazy,” explains senior Claire Thomsen. The projections come in a wide variety, including colorful, moving snowflakes, Santa Claus and red and green lights.

Another decoration that can get on people’s nerves is blue lights. “Blue lights on people’s houses look tacky and disgusting,” says senior Abby Davison. Sticking to the normal white or gold lights or festive red and green lights are always the best and safe way to go. Take pride in the hard work of decorating the house and try not to be the neighborhood eye-sore.

Putting more effort into your winter and Christmas decorations instead of taking the tacky, lazy way out goes a long way. If you aren’t going to make your home look somewhat appealing, then save your neighbors the trouble of having to look at your house everyday, and don’t do anything at all.

$480
$1000