YouTube’s problems

YouTube is big. It’s the second largest search engine after Google. 33% of internet traffic is consumed by YouTube. More than 100 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every day. The reason YouTube is an amazing service because is it enables creators to share their ideas on a free to access platform. YouTube has a wide range of videos from cats to humor to educational. The videos can be entirely scripted while others are more real. However, not everything about YouTube is fine tuned. There are two main flaws to YouTube: demonetization and promotion. These two issued will be explained below.

Demonetization discussed:

The way creators make money on YouTube is through ad revenue. Before a video plays, YouTube plays an ad anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes. These ads cannot be played on content that’s deemed inappropriate. The issue is that since so many videos are uploaded each minute, YouTube must use an algorithm to decide what videos can be monetized and what are demonetized. Sometimes, the algorithm doesn’t work and causes appropriate videos to be demonetized. Creators lose so much of their income in this process even if the time where the video is demonetized is very short. YouTube is facing sever backlash from its community and the company is rapidly working to fix the algorithm.

Promotion discussed:

Another major issue within YouTube faces is its publicity. The reason YouTube is so popular is because of popular channels. People don’t watch YouTube because of the services it offers, they watch YouTube because their favorite creators upload videos on the platform. Across the country, on billboards, YouTube advertises its services like YouTube red instead of its creators. Creators feel less appreciated even though they are the reason YouTube is so successful.

If these two issues are not solved in the coming years, YouTube might see a demise like Vine. Casey Neistat in this video. Although that probably won’t happen, it remains a possibility.