Terror in the New York subway

StockSnap via Pixabay

On Monday December 11, an attempted lone-terrorist attack occurred inside a busy subway corridor in midtown New York City. Akayed Ullah, a would-be suicide bomber, entered the subway an hour before the pipe bomb detonated, and was found riding a train to Brooklyn before exiting in Manhattan. Ullah had two devices to detonate, one being the failed pipe bomb and the second, which was not elaborated upon, but was believed to be detonated by his cell phone. “The pipe bomb was composed of a combination of velcro and zip ties,” said James P. O’Neill, New York City police commissioner.

Officials believe the attack was in response to Israeli actions in Gaza, as Ullah pledged allegiance to ISIS.

Four Port Authority police officers rushed to restrain Ullah, struggling with him until there was no other threat of detonation. Paul Nunziato, police commissioner of Port Authority, released a statement recognizing these men: “Today, four courageous Port Authority police officers risked their lives confronting an armed terrorist to protect others from harm…entered a smoke and debris filled subway passageway, struggled with suspect and denied him the ability to cause further chaos and destruction.”

This attack injured Ullah and three other civilians as people flooded out of the crowded subway terminal. “I was about to swipe in my card, and out of nowhere, we heard a really loud bang. Everyone said, ‘Get out, get out!'” said Ali, 18, who declined to provide a last name to CBS.

President Trump’s administration referenced this attack while pushing restriction on immigration, stating, “The suspect entered our country through extended-family chain migration, which is incompatible with national security. Congress must end chain migration.”

White House Press Secretary, Sarah Huckabee, informed reporters of the dire need for border control to protect the US from those intending to harm American citizens.