Disaster strikes Washington

StockSnap via Pixabay

On Monday, December 18 tragedy struck the city of DuPont, Washington, just south of Seattle. The Amtrak 501 train was making its first ever trip, traveling from Seattle to Portland, when it derailed onto Interstate 5. With the goal of saving 10 minutes in time, this route instead resulted in the deaths of multiple passengers.

These 65-ton cars dispersed along the Interstate below. 13 of the cars were flown from their tracks. This new 181 million dollar train was running on a new bypass when it flung over the railing. The Amtrak train dangled over the road as three people lost their lives and over 70 others waited to be be rushed to the hospital. 80 passengers, five crew members and one technician were aboard the train.

At least five cars on Interstate 5 were damaged. The drivers of the vehicles were injured but none were killed. This Interstate has been shut down and will most likely remain this way for multiple days.

NBC news reported that, “The National Transportation Safety Board said that the train was traveling 80 miles per hour in a 30mph zone.” Technology that could have slowed or stopped the train automatically wasn’t in use on this particular route.

President Trump tweeted, “My thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in the train accident in DuPont, Washington. Thank you to all of our wonderful First responders who are on the scene. We are currently monitoring here at the White House.”

The National Transportation Safety Board is conducting an investigation as to why the train was going this fast. It should be resolved within the next 10 days.