Former Taliban captive arrested

WikiImages via Pixabay

On January 1, former Taliban-linked group captive Joshua Boyle was arrested and now faces 15 charges. The 34-year-old Canadian man has been accused of multiple different charges, including two sexual assaults, two unlawful confinements, uttering death threats, assault, misleading police, and causing someone to “take a noxious thing, namely Trazodone.” The variety and magnitude of the charges, while unproven, could show the troubling effects of the impact of Boyle’s captivity.

Five years ago, Boyle and his pregnant wife, American Caitlan Coleman, were backpacking in Afghanistan when they were captured. While in captivity, they had three children; however, after Boyle allegedly refused to join the terrorist group, Coleman says she was forced to abort her infant— one of the many unimaginable horrors they faced.

After years in captivity, the family were rescued on October 11, 2017. Upon their return to Canada, the couple had a private sit down with Justin Trudeau, prime minister of the country. But their troubles did not end after their arrival back to their home country. Within a week, Boyle’s wife was rushed to the hospital. While the ailment was unspecified, a statement reportedly issued by the Boyle family described the couple as “deeply traumatized and Josh is not of clear thought as he speaks at times.”

Earlier this week, when the charges surfaced, Eric Granger, Boyle’s lawyer, stated: “This is an individual obviously we all know has been through a lot, is an individual otherwise who hasn’t been in trouble before, and he’s presumed innocent of these charges.” Boyle’s wife spoke out as well: “I can’t speak about the specific charges, but I can say that ultimately it is the strain and trauma he was forced to endure for so many years and the effects that [they] had on his mental state that is most culpable for this.”

Despite what he endured in captivity, what Boyle faces now could deeply impact his family and his future.