“Rockin’ Around the Clock”

On Feb. 6, Pleasant Valley choir students, from grade six all the way through high school, presented a concert full of pop songs from the 1950’s to today. Each of the thirteen choirs performed their own pieces individually, and they all united to sing a piece at the end of the program. PV’s Choir program is quickly growing; this concert involved about 540 students. This number does not include the almost 300 additional students who participate in choir at the upper elementary level.

After a welcome from Superintendent Dr. Jim Spelhaug, the eighth grade Mixed group took the stage. These students began the show with a 1980’s piece: “Holiday Road”. Rewinding a few decades into the past, Jazz Nouveau proceeded to sing “Dream”, from the 1940‘s. The seventh grade girls and Pleasant Valley Singers performed hits from 2010, including “Firework” and “Rolling in the Deep”. Belle Tones and the sixth grade chorus each carried out a tune from the 1950’s/60’s.

As the concert progressed, Women’s Ensemble took their turn with an ABBA Medley, consisting of four pieces. Concert Choir also got an opportunity to perform a medley, specifically regarding Michael Jackson. After individual pieces from the Seventh Grade Boys, Jazz Etc., Leading Tones, and the Junior High Concert Chorale, the Chamber Choir began to wrap up with a six piece medley of the Beach Boys.

As previously mentioned, the hundreds of students came together for one final piece from the 1970’s: “Turn the World Around”.

“The concert was definitely one of my favorite district choral festivals so far because I think each choir got really into their music and was excited to be performing their songs,” said Hallie Jones, junior, “I had a lot of fun going overboard with the 70’s disco theme and dancing along to the music.”

“I felt like this year’s concert was definitely a lot more fun than the last few years because all of the songs were popular and sing-along type songs. Everyone knew all the words to every song plus the outfits were very coordinated,” said Roshni Nair, junior. “Highlight of the night was definitely the sixth grade girls choir.”

The Vocal Music Faculty and Staff of Pleasant Valley is made up of Meg Byrne, Peter Grau, Catherine Lyon, Margaret Thompson, Robert Williams, Becky Seward, Perry Mears, Tom Booth, and Thea Angelson.

Check out the link below for an overview of Monday evening’s concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnEr2WBzQcU

$580
$1000