A guide to the Y

High school is a stressful time of life. From homework to athletics, the stress level of a high school student is through the roof. One way many students deal with this stress is by going to the YMCA.

The YMCA is an athletic facility that has activities for every age and fitness level. One of the most popular activities at the YMCA are the fitness classes. Kayla Reilly, junior, says, “I love the YMCA classes because they really get people involved. They’re also fun and in a good environment.” Hannah Thomas, junior, works at the YMCA as a tumbling instructor for little kids. “I love my job because it’s very laid back. All kinds of people from the community come to workout and I love getting to meet multiple new people every time I work,” says Thomas.

There are many different classes ranging from beginner level to advanced. With so many classes to choose from, one could easily get confused and overwhelmed with all of the options. Each class is taught by a trained and certified instructor. To help ease confusion, here is a list of some of the most popular classes that are perfect for high school students looking to relieve some stress or have fun while working out:

Cycling

30-60 minutes of endurance, sprints and hills set to music. Indoor cycling is a great way to get a cardiovascular workout as well as strengthening and toning the lower body. All participants are encouraged to bring water and a towel to class. Speed changing pedals are available on all bikes. All new participants are encouraged to attend an introductory class, or meet with the instructor prior to starting the session.

Pilates

The mat class is a series of floor exercises designed to realign and strengthen one’s body by concentrating on their abdominal muscles or core. This class incorporates breathing, strength, flexibility, and proper alignment to achieve optimal results.

SilverSneakers® Classic

Have fun and move to the music through a variety of exercises designed to increase muscular strength, range of movement, and activity for daily living skills. Hand-held weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a ball are all offered for resistance and a chair is used for support.

Yoga Level-1

Learn the fundamentals of basic Hatha Yoga in this gentle, but stimulating class. Learn the basics of various poses and the importance of breath. End each class with a restorative and relaxing pose.

Yoga–Flow & Strength

Incorporate basic Hatha Yoga moves in a flowing sequence. Learn to incorporate breath with your physical poses. Relax and de-stress your mind with the restorative poses. This class is appropriate for all levels but “Yoga Basics” class encouraged before attending.

Zumba!

Are you ready to get your Latin groove on? Go join for a great cardiovascular class that uses fun Latin dance moves and Latin music. This class is appropriate for all levels. No previous dance experience required. Come ready to have some fun!

Les Mills BODYPUMP®

The original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This 60-minute workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for – and fast!

Step Express

If you love to follow choreography and great music, this is 45 minutes of pure stepping fun!

FIT FOR LIFE Cardio & Strength Intervals

45-60 minutes of cardiovascular and strength intervals. You will increase your upper and lower body strength, while also improving your cardiovascular conditioning. All cardio moves are low impact but will increase your heart rate to get the best training benefits. You will alternate strength exercises with low impact cardio training. Interval training is one of the best ways to get in shape or improve your current conditioning level.

A monthly schedule of all of the classes can be found on the YMCA website!