Chapter 42: Evan Wilson

Chapter 42: Evan Wilson

Even though he has only been a part of the Pleasant Valley High School community for a little under two years, sophomore Evan Wilson has already made his mark in academics, music and sports. An active member in all of these areas, Wilson is a familiar face for both underclassmen and upperclassmen, who recognize him from the various activities in which he participates.

Since the seventh grade, Wilson has been a committed runner on the Pleasant Valley boy’s track and field team. A strong sprinter, Wilson runs the 100-meter and 200-meter events along with the long jump. Though the transition from junior high to high school sports can be difficult for anyone, Wilson grew to be incredibly accomplished during his freshman season; he hopes to continue his success this year. The more rigorous workouts and longer practice times have not stopped Wilson from becoming the best athlete he can be. “My favorite track memory is when we went to the MAC last year,” he told the Shield. His time of 11.9 seconds for the 100 meter dash is particularly impressive for a freshman.

Next year, Wilson hopes to bring his sprinting skills to a different sport: football. Joining football as a junior will no doubt be a challenge, but it is one that he is prepared to take on. He hopes to be a valuable addition to the team next season.

During the school day, the classes Wilson most looks forward to are French II and World History III; he particularly enjoys learning about ancient civilizations like the Mayans. In fact, Wilson is considering becoming a history teacher as a future career, although his dream job would be in a music-centric field.

As an outlet for his creativity, Wilson plays the acoustic and electric guitar. Although right now he plays mostly covers of famous songs, he hopes to get to the point where he focus on composing original material. He primarily listens to classic rock bands, such as ACDC.

In spite of his busy schedule, Wilson still manages to spend time with his friends, family and pets, including two cats and a dog. He is especially close with his girlfriend, whom he has been dating for seven months. “I love to be with her and she just finds a way to make me happy all the time,” Wilson said. “She always makes my day.”