United at last

The Sparkles cheer team and Shining Stars dance team collaborate for the first time

At the height of football season, the Shining Stars Dance Team and the Sparkles Cheerleading Team are working very hard to perfect the routines they will perform at games. Both teams are Sparkle Effect teams whose membership is open to students of all ability levels. Until now, the Stars and Sparkles have always performed separately. However, the teams recently got very exciting news that would allow them to collaborate for the first time. The Sparkle Effect asked the teams to learn a dance together, which would later be filmed and shown all over the Quad Cities.

Of course, both teams jumped at the exciting opportunity. Executive Director of the Sparkle Effect, Linda Mullen, says, “The Sparkle Effect is all about bringing people together. The Spartan Sparkles represent the first school-based inclusive cheer team in the country. The Stars represent the first school-based dance team in the country. The Spartan Sparkles launched a nationwide movement of inclusion that, to date, has resulted in over 180 new teams in 30 states. Both teams should be very proud of their history and their legacy. The video produced by the Quad City Chamber of Commerce focuses on community pride. What better way to showcase our community pride than to bring these two extraordinary teams together?”

A single two-hour practice was all the time the teams had to learn and perfect the dance. They were lucky enough to have Lauren Delzell, Sparkle Effect Director of Training, come in and teach the routine. One week later, a camera team came in to film the teams performing their dance. The dancers and cheerleader all experienced the life of a movie star, as the camera crew took multiple different pictures and videos at many different angles. As the filming came to a close, the excitement couldn’t be contained. Captain of the Sparkles Claire Park shares, “It is so amazing to see all of the girls together because so many of them are on both teams!”This opportunity was definitely a highlight of high school for many of the team members.

These teams are so lucky to have opportunities like this given to them and to receive the support of the entire school. It is so exciting to see the Sparkles and Stars starting to play such an important role in Pleasant Valley’s student body and school spirit. Shining Stars member, Montana Malmen, says, “These teams have shown how talented and unique students with disabilities are and gives them a lot of confidence.”

Make sure to show your school spirit by come to the home football games to see the Stars and Sparkles perform their brand new routines.