Spring has officially sprung with Major League Baseball’s opening day

Sue Park via Pixabay

Spring has officially sprung and although mother nature seems to have missed that memo, major league baseball did not. Much to the delight of baseball fans everywhere, Thursday, March 29 marked baseball’s much anticipated opening day. For the first time in 5 decades – since the 1968 season – fans from all 30 teams had opening day to look forward to. Instead of staggering the opening games over the span of several days, each team opened their season on opening day. Equipt with a so called “magic” all its own, opening day filled baseball fans from all corners of the country the tingling, hopeful excitement that a new season brings. Most hope for a better result than last year, while the lucky few hope to watch their team defend the success of the previous year.

While some games are instant classics, others become early predictors of the success to come. Opening day 2018 was a beginning all its own, marking the earliest season opener in baseball history. Typically occurring at the beginning of April, the early start leaves the last day of the regular season on September 30. The early start is the result of the new collective bargaining agreement between Major League Baseball and the MLB Player’s Association that guarantees three to four more days off for the players throughout the season.

On the local front, the excitement surrounding opening day was felt here at home as fans of the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals alike opened the start of a new chapter in the historic “Route 66 rivalry” This National League rivalry has always been a spirited rivalry, existing as one of the MLB’s most bitter rivalries. This season’s meeting plays out on April 16-18.

“Opening day is exciting because even though last year didn’t go that well, this year will be better,” longtime Cardinals fan senior Ben Piotter said. “I like baseball because with 162 games, it lasts all year. You get to know the players and attached to them following the team all season and into the postseason.” The Cardinals opened the 2018 season in New York against the Mets, losing 9-4. They are currently 4-5, after coming in number eight in the preseason power rankings.

The Chicago Cubs kicked opening off opening day in Miami, beating the Marlins 8-4. The Cubs are now 4-5 after coming number four in the MLB’s preseason power rankings. “My favorite part of baseball season is going to games at Wrigley Field and hearing Go Cubs Go,” said senior Cubs fan Kate Mickle. “I enjoy how the season allows me to spend time with my family.”

The endless baseball drought has finally been quenched and the young season is underway. As the season plays out over the coming months, fans near and far will enjoy becoming reacquainted with familiar faces and learning the stories of the new faces, sharing in the joy of each success and the disappointment of each loss.