Basala brings talent and fun to girls track team

Ellie Spelhaug, Sports Editor

Clare Basala, a sophomore for the Pleasant Valley Girls track team, has not always been a Spartan. Basala moved here from the suburbs of Chicago, near Schaumburg. “We moved because my dad used to live here as a kid and he got offered a position as a principal from the high school he went to,” Basala said.

Despite not being from here, Basala fits in with the team as if she never missed a beat. “I think that Clare is a great addition to our team this year and is an amazing runner and teammate,” senior Lexi Neal commented. “I think we can all agree she has big things coming her way this season and the years to come.”

Basala runs a variety of events for the team including 100’s, 200’s, 400’s, 400 hurdles and potentially the 800. Not many athletes are able to take on this variety of events: being a sprinter, hurdler and doing a bit of distance running. “Clare is an asset to the team in a wide variety of events. She not only brings talent, she also brings hard work and always brings a positive attitude to practice,” distance runner Sydney Lear stated.

Although Basala is only a sophomore, she will be looked upon to help lead the team to a victorious season. Coach Kenny Wheeler believes in building the confidence of young athletes and wanting them to want to win, not feeling that they have to wait until they are juniors or seniors.

“My goals for the rest of the season always change because I try to further push myself to become the best athlete I can be,” Basala commented. “For the 400 hurdles I would like to run a 1:04 or 1:03.”

With a competitive nature in running, Basala means much more to the team than talent. “I think Clare is an amazing runner and brings so much more to our team than just her talent,” sophomore Caitlin Crome said. “She is goofy but also very competitive and is a great role model to those who are younger on the team. She is also a great friend of mine.”

“I have never been with a team better than this one in my life and athletic career. Even though I am new, it feels like I have known my teammates for forever,” explained Basala. “I feel so connected to everyone on the team because they have such a positive and non judgemental welcoming vibe.”

“To be honest, I was pretty terrified to go into track and meet so many new people and then girls from basketball came and I was even more nervous, but they are the nicest people I will ever meet and I’m so thankful I get to surround myself with this support everyday.”