Rivarly game for a cause: Bett vs PV Soccer doubleheader

Kelsie Foltz, Staff Contributor

This Tuesday the rivalry between Pleasant Valley and Bettendorf will shine once again at this years soccer doubleheader. The girls will kick off first at 5:30 with the boys following at 7:00. The #8 ranked girls team will face #4 ranked Bettendorf after suffering their first loss to Linn Mar on Friday. The unranked boys team will face #2 ranked Bettendorf. The doubleheader is a very important game for both the boys and girls teams as they seek redemption from last seasons hard losses. The boys lost in a penalty shootout while the girls won the first game only to be defeated in overtime in the final round of playoffs.

Senior Gretchen Strobbe spoke about the upcoming event, “We’re always excited to play Bettendorf not only because it’s a rivalry game but because of the incredible atmosphere the game always provides.” Strobbe also mentioned last weeks loss to Linn Mar and the motivation it brought the Spartans, “Especially after our performance against Linn Marr, we’re looking forward to playing again and hopefully get our season back on track.” She said.

A senior from the boys team, Tomas Elias explained the importance of the game to his team. “Bettendorf vs PV is a game like no other. It is more than just who is better than one another. It’s about proving a point on how PV has come so far in athletics,” continued Elias, ‘It’s about the bigger picture. It’s about our identity; we want PV soccer to be remembered. And how this is our last chance as Seniors to scratch our names down in the history of PV. We go into this game thinking no one remembers 2nd place.”  

The game is not only an important one for conference and state ranking, but for charity as well. During the game Spartan Assembly and the Be the Change Club will be collecting snack foods and drinks for “The Place 2 B”, a teen shelter in Rock Island that provides meals, job skills and a safe place to hangout for Quad City teens. Students can donate at lunch April 30th, May 1st and 3rd as well as at the doubleheader game on Tuesday. Lily Williams, the committee chair for the event, explained the importance of donating. “We chose the PV v. Bett double header because we are hosting healthy competition with Bettendorf to see which student body donates the most,” she continued, “Also encouraging students that donating to local charity organizations is equally as important as supporting your school’s sports team.”  Make sure to come out and support the Spartans as they face their biggest rivals at home while also supporting a great cause and doing something for the community.