A long-lasting life and marriage

By Library of Congress [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Shocked were America’s reactions to the news of the hospitalization of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush, just a week after his wife and former First Lady Barbara Bush died at the age of 92, on April 17, and just a day after her funeral.

A family spokesman said that Mr. Bush contracted an infection that spread to his blood, but was “responding to treatments.” Further information was not provided.

“Him suddenly getting sick after the love of his life died doesn’t surprise me,” said junior Vashista Chintapalli, “especially since they have been together for like forever.”

The couple met each other at a Christmas dance when he was 17, and she just 16. Their eventual marriage lasted an incredible 73 years, the longest in presidential history. The Bush couple’s strong bond heightened concerns about the health status of the former president, since it is not uncommon for such long lasting couples to pass away within a few days of one another.

But this weekend, Bush was moved out of the intensive care unit and spent the weekend in regular care, according to a Twitter post from Jim McGrath, their White House spokesman. “He’s sad, but he’s doing well,” said Jenna Bush Hager, George H.W. Bush’s granddaughter. “Last time we talked to him he was eating barbecue.”

“I am happy to hear that George H. W. Bush is doing better,” said junior Beate Sprindzuka. “I guess him and his wife being covered by the media will lead to younger people who don’t know him to look deeper into his persona and his political impact.”

Bush became the forty first U.S. president after serving eight years as vice-president to Ronald Reagan. Bush’s term in office between 1989 and 1993 was defined by foreign policy during a time when communism was collapsing in Eastern Europe.

But despite achieving popularity ratings of 90 percent, he was accused of neglecting domestic affairs and was defeated by Bill Clinton in the 1992 presidential election, ending his political career. The Bush legacy was later picked up by his son, George W. Bush, who stepped into his father’s footsteps.