Spartans soar through Spain

Ruth Davidson, Copy Editor

Summer is over and school is up and rolling, but that does not mean the memories and fun times are gone for all the places the Spartans went!  PVHS Spanish teacher, Ms. Risius often loves to host trips for students to participate in. The trip to Spain this summer was an obvious favorite for students. PVHS senior, Abby Roth, said, “I fully enjoyed the whole immersion trip and there was never a dull moment!”

The trip was organized through EF Tours, the company that Pleasant Valley High School has used before for various trips. The students had the opportunity to visit Madrid, Barcelona, and Toledo to fully experience the Spanish culture.

In Toledo, they toured around the old town, saw beautiful architecture and experienced the charm that the city has to offer.

In Barcelona, the students were able to bike around the city and ride around on boats in the biggest lake in the city! As part of the immersion portion of the trip, students would walk around the famous Spanish retirement park practicing Spanish. “We went to La Sagrada Familia, a famous church and admired it’s beautiful stain glass sculptures,” Roth continued.

Of the three students interviewed about the Spain trip, a common favorite was interacting with locals and having the opportunity to meet teenagers their age and play soccer with them. PVHS students in Madrid had the opportunity to meet with an instructor about art, sports, food, and daily life in Spain, which helps fuel their interest in Spanish culture. The trip was organized day-to-day in the way that allowed them to learn about an aspect of Spain in a classroom setting and then go out in the city and experience it.

As comes with a new culture, a new realm of food comes to life! Some students on the trip thoroughly enjoyed paella, a classic Spanish food. Paella is a classic rice dish that natives mix with classic seafood and exotic spices to create a sort of Mediterranean stir-fry. Other students however, did not like the food that Spain had to offer. Creighton Clausen got nicknamed “Picky Pancho” a play on words that paired with his Spanish nickname and dislike for the new food. To help further their experience with Spanish food, the Spartans were able to participate in a cooking class that expanded their horizons and understanding of Spain.

By getting out of the little town of Bettendorf, IA and traveling to Spain, the Spartans were able to have new experiences that allowed them to expand their horizons and create global perspective. Keep exploring!