Walk with Your Head Up

By Jebulon [CC0], from Wikimedia Commons

Katie Bullock, Photo Editor

With the kidnapping and murder of Molly Tibbetts looming over the nation, and more specifically the state, many have recently been on edge. Causing havoc around all of the I-80 residential areas, a recent wave of panic has been circulating through social media. But despite a number of unsettling tweets, the extreme rise in concern may not be necessary. The Des Moines Register has noted the increase in panic among this state and says that social media has fabricated stories that have morphed into rumors that make it appear as though every child who goes missing is the victim of abduction or sex trafficking.”

Although evidence shows that the abduction rates have not actually increased, social media has helped the public become more alert about questionable events taking place. According to local police officer, Van Renterghem, there are 26 involuntary missing person cases and “those 26 cases date back as far back as 1976, which confirms that abductions, involuntary disappearances, are not common in our state.” This shows that the social media induced panic may be exaggerated.

Being aware of personal safety issues is important for many high school students who are transitioning into college. PV Graduate Sara Stickney is currently a student at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. According to Stickney, “I do have pepper spray and I see it a lot more with girls holding it in their hand while walking instead of having it in their purse or backpack.”

Taking small precautions, such as carrying pepper spray in largely public areas, can be the difference between a typical day and a devastating one. Stickney says students have been watching out for each other more carefully. She explained, “My roomate (girl) was walking home alone from the library and two freshmen boys offered to walk an extra mile to make sure she got home safe.”

While living in a bigger city, it is important to take extra steps to make sure that you or your friends are safe at all times. When driving on heavily travelled roads, such as I-80, always keep an eye out for state troopers in case of an emergency. For students like Stickney, having friends only a phone call away helps to ease her ride home.

For many students, the transition to college is difficult enough and having the added stress of being constantly aware of potential dangers can be too much. Through being informed and prepared, students can ease these stresses. Always carry some sort of self defense mechanism and stay in touch with friends nearby and by taking the extra minute to protect yourself now will be beneficial to ensuring a strong future.