Looking at senior year and beyond

As surreal as it may seem, it is time for the class of 2019 to start seriously thinking about what life after high school is going to look like. While some may choose to complete an apprenticeship or serve the country, many plan on attending college.

This process is no easy feat, so it is crucial to start planning and working now. There are many upcoming important deadlines, such as when applications are due and when the ACT/ SAT should be completed by. Listed below are some of the most important dates/ deadlines in order of earliest to latest date/deadline.

FAFSA Applications:

• These financial aid applications open on Oct 1, 2018.
  • Applying for FAFSA and other scholarships is crucial. Minimizing the cost of college will be very beneficial.

Last ACT/ SAT test dates to sign up for:

• ACT: Oct 27 (at the latest if applying early decision), Dec 8 (at the latest if applying regular decision)
  • SAT: Oct 6  (at the latest if applying early decision), Dec 1 (at the latest if applying regular decision)

Early Decision Application Deadlines:

• Usually due Nov 1
  • The date may vary depending on the specific school, so doing research will be beneficial.

Regular Decision Application Deadlines:

• Usually due Jan 1
  • Once again, the date may vary depending on the specific school, so doing research will be beneficial.

Essays/ letters of recommendation:

• The sooner the essays are completed, the better off they will be. Hunkering down and writing these essays can be tedious and taxing work, but it will take time to edit them and ask for feedback from other people. In other words, they should be written as soon as possible.
  • The same applies to letters of recommendations. Kerry Anderson, one of the high school counselors, recommends having these done as early as possible during senior year. She says teachers and counselors should not and will not scramble at the very last minute to write seniors recommendations if they do not provide sufficient notice.  Two to three weeks notice ( if not more) is optimal for the teachers and counselors.

Anderson also says seniors should look out for scholarships from the colleges of their choice and manage their time to meet deadlines. She also recommends seniors “be realistic in their goals, abilities/ skills, and interests when applying to and choosing colleges.”

Emma Horsfield, a 2018 graduate, also reminds seniors to enjoy the year. “My advice is to not wish your year away no matter how much you think you want to get out of high school. Enjoy the times with your friends, invest your time into clubs and activities you truly care about, and work hard but don’t stress yourself out. It’s not worth it,” she said.

$480
$1000