Apple deceives its customers

After the iPhone X released, numerous older iPhone users started noticing that their phones’ battery lives were decreasing. Many complaints stated to swarm the headquarters of Apple, and so the company finally decided to address these concerns. The company confirmed these suspicions by stating that they had slowed certain models to protect aging batteries. Although they had good intentions and reasoning for the slowing of these devices, customers were not pleased with this news. The delay in typing their messages and their mail constantly lagging to reload had finally been explained.

About a decade ago, when the first iPhone came out, Apple stated that iPhone users would never need to change their batteries. Today, many iPhones’ battery lives have degraded so much that buying a new battery is the only option. Consumer groups and government authorities around the world have sued, opened investigations, or filed complaints against Apple over this iPhone slowdown. The company stated the reason for the slowdown was to compensate for degrading batteries. If the phone runs slower, it would use up less of the battery’s life. Apple continues to insist that it has never artificially slowed down phones and would never do something that would cause the customers to become this upset with the company.

Apple apologized for the misunderstanding through a letter by stating that the company would “never do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product.” The company also promised to replace iPhone 6 batteries for a discounted price of $29, rather than their usual $79 price. “We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize.” Along with this, the company has stated that it will make a new iOS update that will “give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery.”

Students from Pleasant Valley High School have noticed these changes in iPhones as well. Katie Bullock, a senior, says, “I have noticed that Apple decreases battery life. When I upgraded my phone from the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 8+, the battery life more than doubled. This upgrade felt very nice but makes me scared for what will happen the next time Apple releases a new phone. I would not switch to Android, however, because iPhones are more user friendly and are more universally used.”

Susan Anil, an Android user, comments on this issue, “I think this issue is a characteristic of Apple’s disregard for its clients financial resources. After hearing this news, I would not switch to an iPhone. However, I would have switched to an iPhone before hearing this news.”

Apple has a long way to go rebuilding trust with its customers. This news hit every morning news show as well as big news platforms such as CNN and The New York Times.  Some of these platforms have made it seem as if the slowdown was intentional in a malicious manner. Many customers already believed that Apple decreased the battery lives of iPhones over time, and this news has just confirmed their suspicions that Apple has betrayed them.