Galaxy S8 vs. iPhone 8

With the new Samsung Galaxy phone set to hit the market this week, many people may be wondering whether to purchase the new Galaxy S8 or wait for the new iPhone to be released in the fall of 2017.

After the battery scare with the Samsung Note 7 last year, Samsung needed to make sure its new phone would be flawless. Most companies’ phones have rare instances of overheating, and rarely does a company have to recall as many phones as Samsung did.

The new Galaxy S8 is expected to cost north of $800 for the regular size and $900+ for the plus size phone. Josh Docherty, senior, said, “I personally think that price is fair because of all of the features they added.” The new Galaxy phone is expected to have the best camera of any phone. After Google’s Pixel smartphone took the crown for best camera, the S8 is looking to take that spot. The phone will also have more storage available than the new iPhone is rumored to have. There will be phones with either a 64GB and a 256GB storage options, as well as the ability to add external storage to it, which the iPhone doesn’t have.

The iPhone 8 coming out this fall is going to be even more expensive, and there are rumors that the price might be upwards of $1000. One of its standout features is an OLED screen. It will not have as much storage as the Galaxy S8, meaning users will be stuck only with the options of 32GB, 228GB, or 256GB.
Both of these phones may suit different types of people, but they may not be worth spending for if users do not care for these new features. CJ Roether, senior, said, “The new features don’t entice me, so I am not going to be upgrading my phone.” If looking for a cheaper option for phones, an older version of an iPhone or Samsung would be a viable choice. “I might look at getting one of the new Google phones,” added Roethler.