Nike ad sparks controversy

By Au Kirk [creative commons], via Wikimedia Commons

On September 5th, 2018, Nike released their “Dream On” ad featuring Colin Kaepernick that ignited the nation with controversy after Kaepernick became a controversy himself.

Last year during a 49ers game, Kaepernick kneeled during the national anthem instead of standing. The protest caught fire throughout the NFL and sparked protest in the United States against racism and police brutality that was occurring.

By the release of Nike’s new ad and the signing of Kaepernick, another wave of contempt raged across the nation about whether or not what Kaepernick is standing for is correct. Explaining one of his many reasons for protesting the quarterback says, “I will kneel instead of taking a full seat to protest police brutality and the police-involved killings of unarmed black men”.

Due to Kaepernick’s stance on many controversial issues many former loyalists of Nike have reacted negatively, resulting in such actions as burning Nike apparel and swearing off the brand. 

First the @NFL forces me to choose between my favorite sport and my country. I chose country. Then @Nike forces me to choose between my favorite shoes and my country. Since when did the American Flag and the National Anthem become offensive?

— Sean Clancy

The ad itself is a close up black and white photo of Kaepernick saying, “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” The phrase references to Kaepernick’s lawsuit against the NFL and was also used by Nike for motivation/inspiration, startling many people.

Some former supporters started a boycott against Nike and showcased their anger through social media. One citizen, Sean Clancy, says in a tweet, “First the @NFL forces me to choose between my favorite sport and my country. I chose country. Then @Nike forces me to choose between my favorite shoes and my country. Since when did the American Flag and the National Anthem become offensive?” @sclancy79

Social platforms such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook have all been places to burn swooshes. Many people hoped that this boycott and use of freedom of speech would prevent Nike from selling and keeping Kaepernick as their representative, but in fact, it has only made things better for the business despite all the controversy.

When Kaepernick kneeled for the flag one year ago, who knew it would lead to not playing on a professional team anymore, signing with Nike, and half of the country being angry and lighting their shoes on fire?

As the heat of the issue progresses, Kaepernick does not intend to sit down and let the issue rest. He will do whatever it takes, no matter the cost.