Falling for Autumn in the QC

The crisp fall days are among us with sweaters, bonfires, leaves changing colors and the QC community could not be more excited. Finding interesting things to do in this season can often be a challenge for teenagers, but little does the community know that there is no shortage of things to do in the Quad Cities in the fall.

One of the favorite fall activities is haunted housing, and the Quad Cities provides many different options. Shock house in Rock Island is a popular place to go haunted housing and get your hair to stand on end and send chills down your spine for just a little thrill of the season. They are doing a three night Black Out feature, where you can go through the haunted house with only one glow stick per group that makes for an even spookier experience.

Another favorite haunted house is Terror at Skellington Manor not much farther down the road than Shock house in Rock Island. Voted one of Illinois top 10 haunted houses in 2016 and 2017, this haunted house is six floors, providing the scare visitors want. PV senior Ashlee Kwak says, “I enjoy haunted houses because of the rush I get going through them especially with friends.  I feel like after you go through a haunted house with someone, you become a lot closer because of the scary experience!”

Torment at Twelve Hundred should also be at the top of the Spartans list this fall! It is in Orion, Illinois, but just as enjoyable as the other two houses. It has also received high reviews and ratings because of its dramatic makeup, actors, and props. Enter if you dare!

The last haunted experience that would be great to visit is the Quad City Haunted Forest! Differing from the indoor experience of the haunted houses, this haunted forest will treat you to a walk and haunted hayrack ride of the forest that will give you the full experience that you will have ever wanted.

In addition to haunted houses and haunted forests, the Quad Cities offers its share of pumpkin patches that are suitable for a cute date or for a fun day with friends! The Pride of the Wapsi pumpkin patch offers a field full of pumpkins to pick, a corn maze, a jumping pillow, corn cannon, hayrack rides and so much more. For just under $15, you can get 23 general admission activities, the corn maze, and jumping pillow.

The Country Corner farm is another fantastic option for the fall-fun seekers at PVHS! This quaint farm in Alpha, Illinois has pony rides, seasonal fruit picking, popcorn popped right off the cob, a petting zoo, and rentable fire pits for the chilly evenings! In addition to all these fun activities, they are offering Zombie Paintball for $10 on select Friday and Saturday Evenings: September 22, 27 and October 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, and 27.

The Quad Cities also offers two apple orchards that are locals favorites: Stone’s Apple Orchard and Gravert’s Apple Orchard. Overlooking the Mississippi River and Eastern Iowa, Gravert’s Apple Orchard offers a wide variety of apples to pick and a small store where you can buy caramel apples and fresh apple cider. Pleasant Valley freshman Grace Davidson says, “Stone’s apple orchard is a family favorite place that we have visited before and were not disappointed. I love being able to pick the apples and then make them into a yummy dessert!” In addition to all these activities, Stone’s Apple Orchard provides a petting zoo that can be fun for all ages!

Whether it’s haunted housing, carving the pumpkins you picked at a pumpkin patch, or drinking a refreshing glass of apple cider, fall is the best time to spend time with friends and family and enjoy the season.