Haunted housing for high schoolers

Now that it is October, it is time for haunted housing, and there is no shortage of places in the QC area for students to go. However, which attraction is the best to attend this spooky season?  

As a general rule, most haunted houses have a suggested age requirement of twelve years or older.
For all of the haunted houses below, the house states that the earlier in the night guests go, the shorter the wait, and each house includes free parking.

A popular attraction is Factory of Fear in Moline. The newly remodeled house is the largest indoor haunted attraction in the Quad Cities. While guests are waiting in line for their scare, they can enjoy a horror movie on a large screen. Factory of Fear is open Friday and Saturday 7:00PM-12:00AM, and Sundays 7:00PM-10:00PM. It costs $15 for general admission, and $20 for a VIP experience.

Junior Delaney Evans has gone haunted housing at many different places throughout the years. “Personally, I like Factory of Fear,” she said. “It was really scary, and the actors were very professional. The rooms were interesting and creative.”

Another popular option for enthusiasts is Shock House in Rock island, Illinois. The walk through the house is approximately 10-15 minutes long. While guests are waiting in line, there is covered indoor heating with a movie.

If guests want to be scared outdoors, The QC Haunted Forest and Haunted Hayride in Port Byron, Illinois is the perfect option. It is open Friday and Saturday evenings in October from 7:00PM-11:00PM with a $15 admission. The haunted forest is unique because riders are picked up in a hay rack, and dropped off at the entrance of the haunted forest. Once they make it through, they are brought back to the parking lot, where they can purchase food items, and there are games and inflatables for younger children.

Skellington Manor is in Rock Island, Illinois and offers many unique attractions, such as a murder mystery dinner party and the manor escape experience, along with the haunted manor. The haunted manor is open Friday and Saturday from 7:00PM-12:00AM, and Sunday 7:00PM-10:00PM. It cost $15 for general admission, and $20 for a VIP ticket to skip the line.

Senior Kaitlyn Ryan said, “Last year, I choose to go to Skellington Manor with my friends because it seemed the most professional. I’m glad I went there, because it was a fabulously scary experience.”

The Pleasant Valley Haunted Theatre is also a good option for those who want to support the Drama department. Each year, the drama department turns the theatre into a haunted house, and PV actors create the entire experience.

Junior drama member Siobhan Morley stated, “The theme for this is year ‘The Sultana.’ The story is that Bettendorf residents see a strange red glowing boat out on the banks of the Mississippi river. The characters then take you on a ride aboard The Sultana.” The Haunted Theater is also a fundraiser for the Student Hunger Drive. The one-day event is on Friday, Oct. 26 from 1:00PM-4:30PM.