This weekend on Chopped:Spartan edition

We get it. You’re tired of having your teachers beg you to haul those pesky cans to school for sometimes unworthy incentives. They’re heavy, they’re inconvenient, and you have to go all the way to HyVee to pick them up.

So maybe you aren’t into the concept of bringing cans to teachers for the hunger drive. However, there are many ways you can get involved that are often deemed as more interesting by the student body. There are two of these special events coming up just this weekend.

If you’re planning on attending the football game this Friday, consider entering the raffle for a chance to win the unique Crappy Couch experience. All you have to do is bring 5 cans to Mr. Miller for a ticket into the raffle. After winning, anyone you’d like to add to the couch (a maximum of 4 friends) has to bring 10 cans to Mr. Miller before 3:30 on Oct 18. Not only will you have a sideline view of the game in a comfortable seat, but pizza and hot chocolate will also be provided for the winner and their friends.

Muskan Basnet, 2-year Spartan Assembly member, says “I think that crappy couch is very unique compared to our other hunger drive events,” Basnet explains. “Other hunger drive events tend to be their own events and not part of the typical sport related events that happen throughout the year,” she comments in reference to the fact that crappy couch is intermixed with the football game.

If Crappy Couch doesn’t sound quite like your cup of tea, there is still another opportunity to get involved on Friday night. Atomic coffee has teamed up with Pleasant Valley to allow 25% of the  profits from 24 ounce Rockstar drinks from 4-9pm to go towards the Student Hunger Drive. Stop over there before the game, pick up a drink, and get ready for a night of fun.

Self-proclaimed Atomic lover Solange Bolger says “I think it’s going to work really well. It’s one of the most popular beverage places in the Quad Cities so I think it will do very well.”

Though it may be pesky to hear the constant announcements, Spartan Assembly works hard to organize events that the student body is eager to participate in. Your participation and graciousness in donating are highly appreciated.