Vary Up Your Exercise Routine

Photo Credit to Sujay Marisetty
Students play a game of basketball

It’s widely acknowledged that exercise provides many benefits, both long term and short term. However, what people sometimes don’t realize is that varying up workout routines can help an individual reap the most from exercising. Rachel Wilson, a physical therapist at the Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital, said, “People do what they enjoy, or what feels the most effective, so some aspects of exercise and fitness are ignored.”

Here’s a closer look at the different categories of exercise which almost anyone can do and what to consider when mixing up an exercise routine.

Endurance:

Running, swimming and skipping rope prevail among many of this type of exercise, which aims to improve the function of the cardiovascular system. Even taking a brisk walk can help maintain a healthy cardiovascular function. Apart from that, this type of exercise can reduce an individual’s risk of type 2 diabetes and increase their “good” fat levels.

Strength:   

These exercises makes the body work against resistance in order to build lean muscle mass. This is arguably one of the most important types of exercise for quickly burning off fat since more muscle closely correlates with a faster metabolism. Some exercises that fall under this category include deadlifting, bench pressing and power cleans. Other exercises that may be easier to carry out are push-ups and squats.

Balance:

Exercises in this category can help with stability and control of the body position. This can be helpful for people who may have lost or gained weight, but also helps with performance in sports overall. Some exercises include shifting one’s weight from side to side, balancing on one foot, and walking on the heel of the foot.

Flexibility:

Asides from helping to prevent muscle overstretching, flexibility exercises can aid with rotation around joints, making it easier for one to perform strength exercises more effectively.

Sometimes people overlook the significance of being flexible and as Kelly Drew, an exercise physiologist with the American College of Sports Medicine, said, “If you’re not flexible, you’re still going to pull something when you’re training.”

Some examples of this are high steps, ankle stretches and arm swings.

While other activities may take up a student’s free time, setting aside time to exercise can bring worthwhile benefits. Eric Royer, PV physical education teacher, explained, “Exercise is not just something you do now and then. It’s most beneficial if it’s a lifelong habit.” Keeping these points in mind and cultivating good exercise habits can help one stay healthy.