The importance of supporting local businesses

Everyone enjoys going to shop at big name brand stores that are commonly known. Think of how many times people mention being able to go to Target to buy virtually anything; superstores are places where one could practically live.

It is inevitable that there will be chain stores everywhere. For example, there are 27,339 Starbucks stores in the entire world and there are centralized versions of a product that will be sent to each store. One knows what to expect when you arriving at a chain like Starbucks.

What about the local businesses? Although they may not have the enormous wow-factor that nationally owned stores may have, they have immense advantages that the chains do not.

Local businesses are hidden gems; they are one of a kind and one will encounter a unique experience when shopping local. Supporting local businesses in turn helps the local economy that one lives in. A drastic 68% of the money spent at a local business will stay in the local community which cannot be said for nationally owned businesses.

In addition to helping the local economy, 65% of new jobs in the last 17 years are thanks to local businesses. If you have the opportunity to support local businesses instead of a chain store, why wouldn’t you?

Senior Will Mercer believes supporting local businesses is important. Mercer said, “I believe it’s important to support local businesses because local businesses focus on the community, a local business is valuable to the community because said business is their only source of income.”

Other than this, local businesses can be a very intriguing aspect to a local community. Unique items can come from local stores, whether they are thrifted and vintage or just special to a specific store. If you are buying clothing from a local boutique or store, you won’t be wearing the same thing that many others are if you are buying from a chain.

Senior Sam Mowbray understands the importance of supporting local businesses as his mother is one of the owners of the new Peaceful Style Boutique in Bettendorf, Iowa. Mowbray said, “Most small businesses are run by people- not by boards, not by stockholders, not by algorithms- so you get a different kind of care and quality in their product because their work is a reflection of themselves.”

Most small businesses are run by people- not by boards, not by stockholders, not by algorithms- so you get a different kind of care and quality in their product because their work is a reflection of themselves.

— Sam Mowbray

On a more economic level, local businesses are very beneficial to the community because much of the money made at these businesses are circulated back into the economy. Social and economic relationships can grow within a specific community because of linking stores.

Mowbray said, “Supporting a local or small business is an act of respect. It is acknowledging the tremendous risk and challenges in starting up a business.”

Overall, there are several amazing local businesses in the Quad Cities and it is important to utilize them. In the end, supporting local businesses helps everyone in the community- consumers and producers.