Fashion police: Love Your Melon

Fashion police: Love Your Melon

The

The "Love Your Melon" logo shown on a hat.

Abbey Hancock

Abbey Hancock

Abbey Hancock

Abbey Hancock, Student Life Editor

It’s almost that time of year again where it is time to get out the beanies and scarves for the cold winter that is approaching. Many students are looking for new fashionable clothing items to show off this season.

Senior Anna Shammas stated, “I really like Love Your Melon because the beanies are cute and comfy and they are also always coming out with new items”.

For many, Love Your Melon has been a popular website to buy new beanies on. With a lot of different styles and a low price for a warm knit beanie, it is very difficult to pass up something as cute as a Love Your Melon beanie. However, very few people who purchase items from Love Your Melon actually know the backstory of these beanies.

It all started with two friends sitting in an entrepreneurship class at the University of St. Paul in Minnesota. Zachary and Paul wanted to start a business that was not only meaningful, but benefited others in a positive way. On Oct. 22 of 2012, the Love Your Melon business started with the mission to give a hat to every child battling cancer in the country.

Love Your Melon had a goal of giving 45,000 hats to children battling cancer when their business was first introduced. As of now, Love Your Melon has given out 149,738 beanies and has raised over 4.7 million dollars for all things preventing pediatric cancer.

Katie Spiegle, the PR and social director of LYM, said, “Over the years, our organization has gone from a small idea to a leader in the fight against pediatric cancer. We are so thankful for the consumers continuing to join the story and support the mission behind our brand.”

Love Your Melon also has thousands of “workers” throughout the country. Hundreds of colleges around the nation participate in the Campus Crew for Love Your Melon. Campus Crew is a group of dedicated college students who are determined to make a difference and raise awareness. They represent Love Your Melon through promotional events and engage with many of the children battling cancer.

Throughout the years, LYM has produced so much more than just beanies. They now have things like apparel, headbands, blankets, scarves, water bottles, backpacks, and so much more.

Spiegle stated, “We will continue developing by creating new apparel and products, branching out to support even more nonprofit partners, and continuing to give hats to children who are undergoing pediatric cancer treatment!”

Show your support and help children battling cancer by purchasing something from the Love Your Melon website.